Top 10 Tips for Living a Badass Life: As Told by My Grandfather*


We're gonna deviate a little bit from my usual content today. Before we begin,  I’ll provide a little background information on this post for those who don’t know; my grandfather passed away last week and this is the speech I gave at his funeral. I wanted to capture his spirit and who he was as an individual and this is what I came up with. The intention was to be light, tight, and bright without losing any seriousness.

 This speech is reproduced with permission from my amazing step-grandmother to share with you all, because I think we could all take a little something from this larger-than-life character. I described him on social media as ‘an exquisite model for living a badass life’, and here’s 10 reasons why. So here we go, fellas. Hope you enjoy (and don’t try most of these at home!!*).

1.       Make the most out of your youth. For example, get your Texas A&M Corps buddies together and go steal your rival’s mascot in the middle of the night. It doesn’t matter if it’s a bear cub or a 2000 pound steer. Just do it anyway. It’ll be fine.

2.       Speaking of bears, go ahead and stare down a Grizzly in the Alaskan wilderness while you’re at it. Then take it home as a souvenier rug to adorn the living room floor for years to come.

3.       Listen to Liberace. Do it often and turn it up loud. A glass of whiskey in hand is recommended but not required.
4.       Be the last one to leave from your 85th Birthday party. The young ones have nothing on you. And even if you’re the last to leave…

5.       …Always, always be on time. And by on time, I mean at least 30-60 minutes before anyone else no matter how far you’re traveling from.

6.       Go travel the world. Go places far and wide from the Arctic to Africa and places where few have ever gone. Take lots of crazy pictures and maybe bring back some exotic taxidermy while you’re at it and let your grandchildren decorate it at holidays.

7.       Build your house high on a hilltop, because you’ve earned your place there and share it with all of those you love.

8.       Always keep an outrageous story that doesn’t sound true but probably is in your back pocket, because you know you’re the most interesting person in the room. Just don’t put it in the same pocket as your hankerchef.

9.       Grab life by the horns. Or should I say “give ‘em hell” (an endearing Doakism). Live on the edge and never play small; because why would you live any other way?

10.   Last and most importantly not least, always be there for the ones you love. Take care of your family and friends and tell them often how much you love them and how they make you proud. The Badass Life is to be shared and never taken for granted.

This, to me, was my grandfather, H. Doak Neal. I hope you all enjoyed my banter and can all take a little piece of my grandfather and apply it to your own badass life. I try and display a little of these characteristics (well maybe except for Liberace and taxidermy!) every day. So here’s to you Grandpa Doak. Heaven doesn’t know what it’s got comin’.

Thanks and Gig ‘Em!
July 10, 1931-September 25, 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Letting Go: We Don't Gotta Work it Out

The Art of Letting Go: Lessons from a Season

Consistency and why it matters.