An Open Letter to Leadership Positions in Sports



Today I am going to be deviating from my usual spirited and witty banter on all things that currently inspire or make me curious. I hope that is okay with you all, because the past 48 hours has been thought-provoking for me and there are some things I would like to share.

At this time I'm confident most of you are aware of the 40-175 year sentencing of former USA Gymnastics "physician" (and I use that term very loosely) Larry Nasser. I first learned of the verdict just casually walking by a TV at the facility I work at and thought to myself "thank God, this was addressed appropriately." I then went on to whatever I was doing at the time and that was that. Until during some downtime I began to not just think about what just happened in the Gymnastics world, but the sport culture and those in it in a broader sense. Most of the time, it's absolutely wonderful. I have learned so much about life, work ethic, resilience, and myself through sports. I am continually inspired by all my amazing clients and they push me to become better in all the right ways.

But sport has another side to it. While cases like USA Gymnastics and Nasser take center stage, I feel that there are so many other things that can be said in order to make sports participation a safer, healthier, and more uplifting environment for not just the athletes but those leading and supporting them. This is a letter to anyone who is in any position of leadership in athletics: coaches, parents, trainers, administrators, etc. Those in sport psych and mental health of athletes, I'm talking to us too. Let cases like this, as unbelievably awful as they are, as an opportunity to do better by people.

In my years working with athletes, often in a very intensive way, I am constantly aware of the outside influences and pressures these individuals face. I'm talking about the 10-year-old gymnast, the NCAA D1 athletes, and those who have inked professional contracts. It doesn't matter who you are and what level you play, nobody is immune to the forces applied upon them. Sometimes the athlete has control to exercise over the situation, sometimes the situation may be bigger than them. This is a post about those times when the athlete needs another voice in addition to their own.

To the Coaches everywhere: As an athlete and a sport psychology consultant, I am very aware of the impact your position has over those you lead and teach. So, so many of you are doing a masterful job and helping shape individuals to be better, more productive people one season at a time. Your empathy and sometimes tough love is not lost on those you coach. To those coaches, please stay your course. You have a very challenging job, and are so appreciated.

Sometimes, however, things are not in balance, and your perspectives may be skewed in the name of championships, keeping your job, personal stress, or anything else that may be affecting your life. Please be mindful of the effect you have for good and for not with those you coach. If an athlete comes to you with a need or a question-maybe it's something you don't want to hear, and you may not agree, listen to your athlete. Show them respect and empathy as people. Build them up when they are struggling instead of tearing them down so they are not afraid of making mistakes or speaking up when they are having difficulty Please listen to them and not blame or criticize them when they are hurt or sick and can't perform. Or when life throws these individuals something challenging. While bad apples exist, most of the time these athletes are doing the very best they can with where they are at the moment and are telling the truth. Sometimes yelling is not the answer, but finding out why the athlete did what they did in the first place.

Administrators, please pay attention to things that just don't look or sound right in your team, school, or organization. If something is said that evokes concern, it is best to act upon it sooner than later. Seek outside help and advice if needed. While athletes and their support systems can sometimes come across entitled and intense, hearing their concerns and doing your best to address is what you can control and should always be taken care of sooner than later. Create, cultivate, and passionately convey a positive and growth-oriented culture and I promise you, success will come. Remember that the best teams are not formed overnight and development takes time. If someone reports something you find disturbing, please work to act on it and find solutions to the issue versus pushing it aside.

Trainers and support figures, you often hear and understand the athlete's story perhaps more than anybody else, as they are often trusting you to help them through injury and physical setback. You often hear about the athlete's day, relationships, schoolwork, etc. Keep your eyes and ears open when something does not sound right. Ask questions, tell the athlete how much you care. Learn the right people to refer the athlete too if needed. You have a very important job, however, nobody expects you to fix everything. Myself and my colleagues are here to help, answer questions, and point you guys in the right direction.

Athletes, please know that you have a voice-in any situation. If you are afraid of consequences of speaking up if something happens or you are struggling, reframe it as an indication that what you're dealing with actually needs to be said. I know sport culture, although it is currently evolving, still carries the message of "no pain, no gain", and "winning is everything". While I love to win, and I know you all do too, it isn't everything. Who you are as an individual, the larger system you exist in, and the higher power you believe in are everything. We take care of ourselves and prioritize accordingly, winning becomes easier.

Those in sport psychology and mental health, continue to be self-aware, know your biases, and continue to learn. Stay current not only in the research, but with the culture at large. While I pride myself in my relatability and ability to stay current with the pulse in athletics and culture today, I can always do better.

So to conclude this letter, I want to again encourage and congratulate those who are making the right decisions and making a difference in the world of athletics. We, myself included, can continue to grow and get better at what we do. We need to listen to others in other fields, learn from them, and learn from those we work with. It is our job to provide a safe space for all we work with. Ensure that you take that seriously.

We are all blessed to be in the position that we are in to impact the lives of others. We are called to a higher standard. Remember that and keep making a difference.

Thanks for reading.

Adrienne Nicole Langelier, MA, LPC


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Letting Go: We Don't Gotta Work it Out

The Art of Letting Go: Lessons from a Season

Consistency and why it matters.