Fall 2016 In Review

Hey Everyone! Who's ready for a race report?? How about 4 of them??.... don't worry-for the sake of scrolling fingers and attention spans, I'm writing these bad boys in a synopsis-type fashion! Anyway.... onto Fall 2016: while nothing earth-shattering, this was a season I have been wanting to have for a while and things really seemed to come together well.

One thing I like about it is that it was solid overall but not without a little challenge or two thrown in. The longer I race, the more I value a little bump in the road here and there as it makes the good stuff that much better and memorable. So where did this fall take me? Lets see: One and half cross-country races (yes, one and a half), two 5ks, and yesterday's 5-miler. Each one had their own takeaway and I believe I gave each my best I had that day. So let's break em down, shall we? I'll even use "SOAP note" style for efficiency ;)

GE Run Thru The Woods 5-Miler: November 14, 2016

While it's fresh, I'll start with the most recent first. I ran this one last year and flamed out pretty good in a 36:00 and change. It was disappointing as I felt I was starting to get in halfway decent shape, but I needed to have this experience to realize how problematic these intermittent breathing issues I was having were. So a year later, fitter and being treated for asthma, I laced up my New Balances and set a realistic but challenging goal of 32:30 to 33:30, or a 6:30-6:45 pace for those who care about that stuff.

Subjective: Out and back course with a long gradual incline that wasn't much but enough to make you regret going out too hard. I felt great through the first 3 (all that 5K training paying off there), and grinded out the last 2. Wasn't pretty or smooth, but I held my position and didn't give up on my time goal when things got uncomfortable. Side note: this may be a Turkey Trot, but it's one of the biggest and fastest races The Woodlands offers-I blame all the fasties that come home for the Holidays!

Objective: 33:08 finish time (6:38 pace), 7th Overall woman and 1st AG.

Assessment (takeaways from event): the obvious is that I beat my time from last year by over three minutes. Clearly I've improved and am getting stronger. Thanks Coach Doug! Given how the second half I labored more than I would have liked, I can stand to slow down my first mile a bit more in the future and be more mentally prepared to deal with discomfort. Oh, and I hit my time goal right down the middle. I see that as a success!

Plan: Rest. For like 3 days then get on the Half-Marathon training express through Dec-Jan. for February's Austin Half Marathon.



Tomball Dash 5k: November 12, 2016

The 5K was the distance I spent the most time training for and my goal was to get some more times back under 20:00. The Tomball Dash was a change of pace running through a small town just north of Houston. This race also threw me a little curve ball, but that's ok.

Subjective: Flat race through Old Town Tomball starting at a cute old Train Station. This race was smaaalll. So small the start line was just two cones and packed with young kids that made me a little nervous at first. For a short time I lead the whole race, until I continued to head straight missing a right turn (um, thanks course monitors!), making my 5k 3.2 but I ended up with a pretty strong and decently paced race. I also don't care too much if the course itself is long or short, but that's me.

Objective: 19:46 (6:22 pace) 3rd Overall, 1st Female. Won some sweet Juicy Couture sunglasses. Score!

Assessment : I think I handled getting off course/out of rhythm well and the extra distance didn't bother me too much. This was my second sub 20.



Run For Hope 5k, October 22, 2016

I've run this 5k several times and they always put on a nice event. It also is one of those rare races that puts the charity of supporting foster kids first and the running second. Which I think is cool. I also really liked this course.

Subjective: This one I was a little nervous about since I hand't done a 5k since February and I was coming off my first DNF at Rice. My assertion to other athletes was backed up at this one that no one race is like the other as this may have been my best race performance overall of the year. I felt strong all the way through and finally found a nice kick at the end.

Objective: 19:39 (6:17 pace) 1st Female, 4th overall.

Assessment : My mindset to move past the last race was "positive or nothing at all", meaning it my thoughts aren't positive, then I simply let them go (you know, mindfulness and stuff) so that they wouldn't hamper my enjoyment of the race. Mentally this was a well-executed race and a sign my training was heading in the right direction.

Rice Invitational XC: September, 13, 2016. 

Oh, September in Houston, how you mess with me! My last post spoke all about his one.

Subjective: First-ever DNF, due to asthma. Also my first time racing college girls. Not imtimidating at all! ;)

Objective: Obviously not much to put here!

Assessment : I handled this much better than I ever thought I would. Stuff happens out there and there really is a time and a place to gently unpin your bib, call it a day early and go have a drink with your coach afterward.

Friday Night Lights Cross Country: August 28, 2016

This one was a crazy one. Rain delay by an hour or so, being trapped by the Bear Branch Park bathrooms in a sea of singlets and selfies and a 2k PR. Because it's the only 2k I've ever done!

Subjective: Muddy, sloppy, fast fun! I was there also to watch some athletes I consult with-that and I love watching some XC. I also got off to a great start to the season with a good effort in not-so-good conditions.

Objective: 2F in 7:37 through the mud. I'll take it

Assessment : I never let off the gas despite slipping around in my spikes and the energy at a cross race is second to none. I hope I can do this little event to start the season for years to come.

So there we have it. Thanks for reading!

Lastly but not leastly, I have a few companies and people to acknowledge!

Nina and Matt at CryoWellness Lab: seriously guys, I know I post about cryo all the time, but it really has made a difference in my health and has enabled me to train at an intensity level and consistency I have not been able to sustain for many years. I owe these guys a huge debt of gratitude for taking care of me this year. If you are hesitant to try it, maybe this will persuade you to give it a shot. Every time I walk in that place I feel I get stronger. Boom!

Doug Storey of Bayou City Endurance Consulting Now Doug knows how to write a training plan and has a mind for the sport. I feel like a fast runner again after training with this guy! I also love sporting the cool-as-hell blue singlet too!

Honey Stinger Thanks for another year with the best nutrition company out there! Their stuff tastes so dang good too! Most of my morning runs start with a blueberry energy bar or gluten-free maple waffle.

Oiselle #lonestarbirds proud! Keep it real ladies!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Letting Go: We Don't Gotta Work it Out

The Art of Letting Go: Lessons from a Season

Consistency and why it matters.